Looking for a Sci-Fi TTRPG

Hey yall,

I want to branch out from D&D 5e and try a Sci-Fi game... My players and myself all have experience exclusively with 5e.

Sadly, Reed's game sounds exactly like what I want to play but in the meantime I'd love some suggestions on accessible Sci-Fi TTRPGs for roleplaying newbs.

Please assist.

Comments

• edited October 19

Hi Blake, So if you are looking for something similar to 5e I would say Starfinder is the way to go. However, if you are looking for something a bit more narrative focused I would suggest Fantasy Flight games "Genesys" system. Incredibly fun system with a heavy emphasis on collaborative story telling, which often DnD can fall a little short in that area. This system is the one used in the Star wars rpg Edge of the Empire as well if you want to play in that universe. And Finally if you want a more exploration based game, where survival is a big emphasis but narrative is still the primary focus then I suggest Infinite galaxies. Infinite Galaxies is a Powered by the Apocalypse system, so 2d6 instead of d20 system, and is very very collaborative in nature. All while having space exploration as the main focus. A little less combat and politic heavy though if thats what you are searching for.
    Let me know if you have any questions about those games! -Heebeejeebee

• I'm not sure if narrative-focus is the way to go. I'm not wholly opposed, but I feel like I'll lose the interest of a few of my players if there isn't enough combat.

Also, I'm intending this first foray to be done as a One-Shot... So, combat at the climax might be important.

• Ah okay then I would say Starfinder or Genesys is the way to go then.

• Thanks, I'll look into those :)

• Hello!
    I have many suggestions for scifi games. (I find D&D to be a bit boring so I mostly play things that are not D&D)

Lasers and Feelings: designed for one-shots, feels D&D-y without being D&D. Very accessible for new roleplayers.

Lady Blackbird: designed for one-shots, predetermined characters that you can mold as you go. Very accessible for new roleplayers.

The Veil: a powered by the apocalypse game about rolling with your feelings in a cyberpunk future. Not that accessible for new roleplayers who have never played a PBtA game before (think Dungeon World/Apocalypse World)

The Sprawl: a powered by the apocalypse game about the great expanse of space and the cyberpunk factions that rule it. More accessible for new roleplayers than The Veil, less than Lasers and Feelings.

Scum and Villainy: a forged in the dark game about a gang of loveable space scoundrels. Very accessible for new roleplayers, less accessible for new GMs. It's a GM-heavy game where behind the scenes the GM will need to do things (and have the Blades in the Dark SRD handy)

The Spire: A nice mashup of fantasy and scifi (fantasy characters, scifi setting), D10 system. Pretty accessible for new roleplayers and has an expansion kickstarter happening now.

Legacy: PBtA rules, Post-apocalyptic scifi! Good for all roleplayers

Songs for the Dusk: Post-apocalyptic forged in the dark game! Relies somewhat on Blades in the Dark knowledge but for a forged in the dark game very accessible to new players, plus it's in development so if you have any questions you can just ask Kav (she's great)

Firebrands: an entirely narrative (no dice) game about a futuristic space crew. Best done with characters you've already got going. It's all about those relationships and conflicts (beware, this game can and does occasionally kill player characters). Good for all levels of roleplaying BUT is super narrative heavy with no dice, so keep that in mind.

Fiasco: a one-shot style game about heists gone wrong! There are a TON of playsets available, some of which are scifi focused. If you read all the rules all levels of roleplayers will catch on fast, and there are some great one-shot actual play podcasts out there!

I've played most of these so also feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

• You are for real the MVP of this forum and I've only been here for 10 minutes. Thank you for this response!